6 hour class
Revamp your wardrobe with this class where you fix your clothes or alter for a new body shape - out with the old and in with the new (well kinda new...)!
In this class
This class has been developed for those fairly new to using a sewing machine and hand sewing techniques and is a good foundation class before working directly on your own clothing, which takes place in afternoon class 'Refresh your Wardrobe'.
In the morning you will discover how to:
- take seams in and out
- use a seam ripper / quick unpick
- prepare a garment for modifying
- know how to lift a hem, sort out a lining
- apply darts, pleats, gathering and elasticating to reduce volume and shape to your body
- use useful hand stitches such as invisible/slip stitch, back stitch, and button hole stitch
- replace a broken zip
And as if that isn't enough, in the afternoon you'll:
- learn how to lift a hem sort out a lining
- understand how to take seams in or out
- apply darts and gathering to reduce volume and shape to your body (yea thats the good stuff)
- be able to complete simple repairs such as sewing on a button or patching a hole.
This is a great day out and you'lll learn so much!
Now you can
- learn through lots of exercises and practical tips and tricks
- get to grips with the basic practicalities of how to tackle simple sewing alterations, repairs and 'upcycling'.
- work alongside other keen sewers
Depending on the garment you could go home with 1, 2 or even 3 altered garments - that's almost a whole new wardrobe!
Did you know?
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
About your host, Fabrications
Fabrications - an East London based creative hub!
Fabrications is an independent gallery, shop and workshop dedicated to the best contemporary textile practice and design, with a particular interest in eco-conscious design.
Fabrications opened in June 2000 in a refurbished derelict shop on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. The shop's founder, Barley Massey, has spent the last 20 years finding ingenious ways to turn scraps into original fabrics and using recycled materials to create cutting-edge items. Since 2012, "The Imaginarium", a fully-fitted working studio, has hosted workshops and classes.
Barley has been awarded as one of Kevin McCloud's (Grand Designs) Green Heroes for her minimally-processed, up-cycled products, which "demonstrate a lightness of touch backed up by a rigorous approach".
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.