6.5 hour workshop
If you love taking photos, but want to understand how to take complete control of your camera to achieve the photos in your mind’s eye, then look no further. This photography workshop - lead by professional travel and landscape photographer Matthew Williams-Ellis - will teach you all you need to know!
During the workshop you will learn the fundamentals of photography through ‘in the field’ tutorials, allowing you to practise and experiment with newly learned techniques while photographing some of London’s most iconic locations.
At the same time as learning the technical side of photography, we will talk a lot about the thought process of creating (not just taking) photos. Matthew will offer tips on composition, guide your photographic eye and help you develop a proactive photography mindset, ensuring you can apply your new found skills to any given situation when photographing in the future.
- Session one: Head to The London Eye and South Bank area, where we will cover the basics of ISO, aperture, shutter speed, shooting modes and focusing. Once you are comfortable with this, we will start to experiment with slow shutter speeds while photographing interesting subjects such as the Thames, markets, buskers and South Bank’s iconic skate park.
- Session two: After some food at South Bank Centre food market (also a great opportunity to grab some photos!), we will discuss photographic story-telling and compositional ideas. The day unfortunately has to come to an end, with a sunset and blue hour/night shoot over-looking the Thames at somewhere such as Millennium Bridge, ensuring you return home with a variety of images to be proud of. Please note: No two days are exactly the same, as photography is all about the light. Some subjects suit cloudy days and others suit sunny days. We will shoot wherever the conditions are best!
- Matthew Williams-Ellis is a professional travel and landscape photographer who has been awarded in Travel Photographer of the Year, and been a finalist on many other occasions. He carries out commissions for the travel industry, leads photography holidays and workshops and runs a youtube channel called Photo Escapes.
- Matthew says "travel offers endless fascinating subjects for photography. Whether you join me photographing central London at sunset, Regent's Park in Autumn or learning long exposures at The London Eye, you will always receive plenty of 1 to 1 time and my absolute promise to devote my time and efforts to helping you produce the best photos possible!"
- ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Shooting in manual mode and aperture priority mode
- Experiment with panning in shutter speed priority mode
- Histogram and the importance of exposing to the right
- Try out tips and tricks for eye-catching compositions
- The importance of light and shooting at the best time of day
- Conveying stories in your photographs
- Focus modes and capturing sharp photos
- Selecting the most appropriate equipment (although it is not about what equipment you have, it is how you use it!)
Select a class time
None of the dates work for you? Let the host know and you will be notified when new dates are added.
You will only receive an email from us if new dates are added for this class, you will not receive any marketing emails, and that's a promise!
Did you know?
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
This is a Flexitime class, which means the teacher can run this class around your schedule.
Time & Location
Select a date and location you want and your teacher will get back to you to confirm their availability.
About your host, Matthew Williams-Ellis
Matthew's photography workshops are about learning your camera inside out, immersing yourself in photography, trying new techniques, and having fun with your camera alongside like-minded people! Tutorials are 'in the field', where you are encouraged to experiment with your new skills to create eye-catching photos of some of London's most iconic sites!
You will always receive plenty of 1 to 1 time ensuring you master your camera, develop a proactive photography mindset and further your photographic eye. You will leave feeling confident about both the technical and creative aspects of photography, allowing you to capture unique and interesting images when photographing in the future.
All workshops are taught by Matthew, a London-based professional travel and landscape photographer, who has been a finalist in Travel Photographer of the Year on more than one occasion. "Nothing beats getting out there and exploring the world with camera in hand". Whether learning long exposures in Regent's Park in Autumn, photographing Richmond Park at sunrise or Tower Bridge at sunset, he can't wait to help you capture it!
**Equipment** -Camera: Essential(!). Ideally a digital SLR or other camera that can be controlled manually. Please contact before booking if you only have a point and shoot or smart phone. -Lenses: Wide angle lens essential, telephoto lens optional. -Tripod: Not essential, but without it you will be limited during the sunset/night shoot. Loan can be arranged. -Filters: Optional **Please wrap up warm if it is a cold day. The temperature drops quickly after the sun sets!**
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.