5 hour course
Over this duration of this five week course, you will be taught the principles of spoon carving, safety techniques and correct tool use. The course uses axes, knives & crook knives, and we will cover how to make bespoke handmade spoons crafted by yourself to take home and enjoy.
Peter Houghton, a master carver, will introduce and guide you in the rewarding art of wood carving.
Teaching you all the skills required to carve a spoon, you will learn:
- About the properties of different woods
- Splitting techniques to split locally sourced unseasoned wood straight from the log (using a tool called a froe)
- How to use an axe to carve yourself a spoon blank (the rough cut spoon shape)
- How to use a variety of knife grips and carving techniques using crook knives (spoon knives) and fixed blade knives
- How to sharpen your carving tools so you have the skills to carry on this fascinating hobby
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
This is a Flexitime class, which means the teacher can run this class around your schedule.
Time & Location
Select a date and location you want and your teacher will get back to you to confirm their availability.
About your host, Crafting Shed
At Crafting Shed, our mission is to create a safe, communal space for all kinds of artists, from beginners to professionals, to come together and express their creative sides. We believe in unlocking the creative within each and every one of us, and we offer a wide range of classes for all students. Whether you’re a professional looking for new inspiration, a brand new student hoping to learn a thing or two about art, or if you’re simply interested in picking up a new hobby, crafting shed is here to welcome you into the fold.
Peter Houghton, master carver introduces and guides people in the rewarding art of wood carving.
All wood and tools will be supplied. Please do not wear open sandals! Tea and coffee will be provided.
Only students over 18 years of age.
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.