What you will do
Three session course
This short course (consisting of 3 classes) has been specifically developed to meet the needs of those wishing to take the first step into the world of knitting. These classes will not only introduce the participants to the fundamentals of knitting but also offer practical advice on yarns, needles and pattern reading. The class is taught by Fabrications founder, Barley Massey who will watch over your learning, offer observations and feedback, and answer any of your questions as they arise! There will also be some homework after each session to keep up your practice in between classes.
Beginners Knitting Part 1, Saturday 4th January, 11am- 1.30pm
You will learn::
- Understand the relationship between wool and needle sizes.
- Make a Slip knot, use ‘thumb’ and ‘knitting on’ methods of casting on
- Complete a plain stitch
- Introduce a new ball of wool or new colour
- Cast off and sew in loose ends
Beginners Knitting Part 2, Saturday 18th January, 11am - 1.30pm You will learn:
- Complete a purl stitch
- Understand how to combine plain & purl stitch to create new stitches, e.g. stocking stitch, ribbing and moss stitch
- Create shaping through increasing and decreasing stitches
Beginners Knitting Part 3, Saturday 1st February, 11am - 1.30pm You will learn:
- To decode the language used in knitting patterns!
- Follow a pattern through
- How to identify mistakes and correct them
- Sewing up your garment to get a professional finish -Get advice on future projects
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
About your host, Fabrications
Fabrications - an East London based creative hub!
Fabrications is an independent gallery, shop and workshop dedicated to the best contemporary textile practice and design, with a particular interest in eco-conscious design.
Fabrications opened in June 2000 in a refurbished derelict shop on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. The shop's founder, Barley Massey, has spent the last 20 years finding ingenious ways to turn scraps into original fabrics and using recycled materials to create cutting-edge items. Since 2012, "The Imaginarium", a fully-fitted working studio, has hosted workshops and classes.
Barley has been awarded as one of Kevin McCloud's (Grand Designs) Green Heroes for her minimally-processed, up-cycled products, which "demonstrate a lightness of touch backed up by a rigorous approach".
The course includes your own knitting 'starter kit' and top up as you go yarn
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.