What you will do
2 hour workshop
Step into a magical studio and learn one of the oldest crafts known to mankind! Craft your own professionally finished leather goods using the same premium leather, tools and techniques used in my work. You will leave with leather goods as made by you and personalised with your initials or a message. Whether you are leather curious or a serial hobbyist - this workshop will make a leather lover out of you!
We start by discussing my journey from lawyer to professional craftsman followed by a talk on the history of leather and its historical trade in London. We also have a comprehensive overview of tanning and current views on sustainability, ethics and welfare.
There will then be an overview of the crafting process, tools and how to use them and safety procedures before going on to choosing patterns and leather to make you chosen items. You have a choice of items you can select from (please see photos). These have been cleverly designed with a modern minimal aesthetic and are suitable for all abilities, ages and genders.
You will work on the chosen project(s) with individual attention given throughout the class and we will finish by packing the item to take home or to give as a gift.
During this workshop you will learn:
- Working with professional patterns and marking
- Cutting leather accurately (also known as clicking)
- Punching holes (guests love hammering!)
- Shaping leather
- Use a professional heated tool
- Burnishing leather (flesh side and also edges using traditional methods)
- Using British made brass fittings to complete the look
The items you will can choose from are:
- A leather purse or cardholder
- A leather valet tray
- A leather bracelet or cuff
- A leather lanyard or keychain
- A leather keyholder
Techniques you will learn:
You can take what you learn from this workshop to start making leather goods at home with minimal tool investment!
- If you cannot see a date that suits, please use the Flexitime option to request a day. I can usually accommodate most requests! ;)