Six session course
Come and join this six day course taking place over two weekends, in which the participants will be shown how to make a bronze sculpture from scratch!
In this course
This course runs over 6 days and will take place over two weekends. Participants will make a bronze sculpture from the initial wax-process to the final bronze sculpture, which will end in the bronze pour.
- Day 1, Friday 20th April Introduction to Melting point Practical wax demonstration How to work with wax eg wax welding, taking wax from a mould, wax sheet making / casting from alginate to create a wax
- Day 2, Saturday 21st April Finish waxes Presentation on Bronze moulds What is a Bronze Mould? Finish off wax What is wax gating Wax gating Begin degreasing
- Day 3, Sunday 22 April Bronze Mouldmaking begins Begin dipping waxes, 1st dip Talk "From wax to bronze" Low melt alloys casting demonstration 2nd dip
NB: During the following week the moulds will be dipped in readiness for the next weekend for students to continue their work.
- Day 4, Friday 27 April Burnout bronze moulds Puttying up shells Refire fire shells Redip Pre heat + light furnace + pour metal
- Day 5, Saturday 28 April Breakout moulds Fettling and chasing
- Day 6, Sunday 29 April Patination Final finishing
Did you know?
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
About your host, London Sculpture Workshop
London Sculpture Workshop is an independent sculpture studio in Woolwich, South East London, located within Thames Side Studios, offering exceptional facilities for artists and those interested in making three-dimensional work.
Our short course programme covers a wide variety of technical and skill-based processes, taught by practicing artists in superbly equipped workshops. We teach a range of skills including welding, casting, mould making, metal and wood work, ceramics and hot metal practices.
London Sculpture Workshop is a not-for-profit, community interested company, established in 2012 by artists Giles Corby and Jessica Mello, trained at RCA and Slade. LSW has partnered with a number of prestigious organisations including; The British museum, The Crafts Council, CRISIS, The Architecture Association and Oxford Brooke's University. In 2013 and 2014 LSW was awarded the Chelsea Arts Club Trust ‘Artist Run Space Award’ and awarded a grant for our work from the Mayor of London in 2016.
We offer Day, Evening and Weekend courses - ranging from a 3 hour Introduction to Welding to a 6 day Bronze Casting Course, available to book throughout the year.
The cost of the course includes 1kg of Bronze - wow! Additional bronze is available to purchase if you need too as well.
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.