Five session course
In this course in Battersea, beginners can learn basic sewing skills and gain confidence with a sewing machine through a wide range of fun projects. You'll be guided though a different project each session to teach you all the skills you'll need to continue sewing at home and you'll come away with 4 of your own creations!
In this class
It may be named intense but this fun course is aimed at beginners who want to learn basic sewing techniques in order to gain the confidence to do small projects at home. Throughout the sessions you will be guided through a variety of different assignments:
- Get familiar with a sewing machine by making a totebag
- Learn to insert a zipper by making a lined zip pouch
- Try your hand at clothes making with a pair of pyjama bottoms
- Continue with the clothes with simple top
- Learn to make alterations to your clothes
You basically come away with a some great items and a whole bunch of new skills:
- threading a machine and bobbin
- inserting a zipper and use interfacing
- reading and cuting a simple pattern
- hemming and sewing buttonholes
- inserting an elasticated waist
- sewing darts and turning a bias tape
The Old School Club will provide a range of great fabrics for you to choose from and all the equipment to complete each project, but for the last day you will need to bring some of your own clothes to be altered.
Bring along a mate for this fun class in a relaxed atmosphere or turn up ready to meet some other keen Obby-ists in your area - either way we know you'll have a ball!
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
Gift this class to a friend or loved one
About your host, The Old School Club
A creative club to learn skills, make unique creations and feel inspired.
The Old School Club is a welcoming creative hub, based in Battersea, South West London. The founder, Inma Goodhew, is part-time mother of two children, part-time creative visionary. Growing up in an environment where everything was handmade, personalised and familiar, her inventive upbringing lead to a passion for sharing her skills with others. Yet Inma hit a frustrating block, where, on maternity leave, she wanted to take some creative classes but there was nowhere in London aimed at parents with children. so Inma formed a sewing club and hired babysitters to look after the babies whilst the mums were learning and making. This started to grow into something much bigger, much quicker than Inma could imagine; from a network of young mothers to a devoted community, breeding creativity.
Inma found that making things for herself, her family and her home allowed her to learn, improve and practice everything she know. Having done it all her life, she now uses her broad range of skills and styles to advise her clients on everything, from colours & patterns, to fabrics and furniture styling. Her true expertise lies in teaching beginners and keen crafters how to sew, paint, style furniture, upcycle, master embroidery and nail DIY projects. Her classes are always informative, bespoke, friendly, but most importantly, great fun.
Inma appreciates that, as a mother of two, mums need their down time and it comes in no better form than getting creative and being social with other mums. Inma is rightly proud of her bold career u-turn, transforming her profession from a senior IT role, to doing something she was truly passionate about - teaching, making and sharing with other creatives her entrepreneurial journey.
- Just a stones throw away from Clapham Junction Station.
* This is one of The Old School Club's most popular course so places get full fast - book now to make sure you get yours! * You need to bring some items of clothing for the alterations class or you'll be stuck twiddling your thumbs and that's no fun! * The school has a great shop where you can buy great materials to continue your new hobby at home!
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.