Ten session course
This two-week course will take you from beginner to Masterchef winner (or contestant at least). No prior cooking experience is required. Recipes followed will cover useful everyday fare, to more imaginative dishes.
In this course
This course is an absolute favourite whether you just want to learn how to cook, you are off to uni, you are interested in working in a chalet, or you are considering a career in food. This course is for everyone!
Week 1 starts off with an introduction to the basics. You will learn:
- fantastic knife skills
- some great variations of bread making (including Diana's famous bread)
- elaborate cake making
- how to make your own soft drinks
- boning meat and handling fish
- preparing and cooking a variety of vegetables
Each day, the "duty team" kicks the day off by baking some bread, a cake and making some homemade lemonade for the rest of the group before you delve into the daily recipes. Then the students go off into pairs and man their workstations as they prepare their daily meal. Week 2 picks up where week 1 left off with slightly more focused on the "advanced" skills such as:
- food presentation
- learning to cook international foods and different techniques
- canapé making
- learning to cook Asian foods and different techniques and much more!
Additionally, on Thursday nights, you can invite your friends and family to come by and test out some of your creations!
- Homemade French Baguette
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Homemade Pesto and Crispy Bacon
- Seared Spiced Duck Breast with a Noodle, Bok Choy and Shiitake Stir Fry
- Raspberry Parfait in a White Chocolate Cup with Raspberry Coulis and Homemade Honeycomb
By the way:
- Are you a vegetarian? If so, no problem - just let us know beforehand
- Accommodation can be arranged for those who need it
- This course is Duke of Edinburgh Gold eligble
- You will also get your own copy of The Avenue's cookbook, and an apron to take home with you
Now you can
- bake your own baguette! Now that's impressive
- start writing that application to your dream cordon bleu culinary school
- be "the chef" at uni - no more baked beans from the tin
As well as bagging some kick ass kitchen skills, this course is Duke of Edinburgh Gold eligble. You will also get your own copy of The Avenue's cookbook, and an apron to take home with you.
Did you know?
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
Gift this class to a friend or loved one
About your host, The Avenue Cookery School
The Avenue Cookery School is a family-run leaning business based in Wandsworth in South West London. The owner and head chef Diana began her career as a chalet chef before discovering her entrepreneurial side and founding a number of specialist food ventures. Infamously, Diana taught at The Grange Cookery School in Somerset for 7 years before starting The Avenue, where she has been ever since.
Diana is supported by her son Richard and daughter Sophie.
The food at The Avenue can be considered classic chic but full of fun twists and turns (ranging from macaroon masterclasses to gluten free baking to simple supper classes). All the classes are taught in the school's beautiful kitchen facilities in a relaxed environment.
Watch The Avenue here, where all the magic happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCBO61x4Aow&feature=youtu.be
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.