Five session course
This is an introductory course for beginners and complete beginners wishing to learn how to play the saxophone. The course will teach you the basic principles of playing an instrument in general and the saxophone in particular. Over the course of five carefully designed sessions you will learn:
- How to handle and assemble your instrument.
- You will be introduced to various breathing techniques in order to learn how to breathe naturally when performing and how to deal with stage fright and performance related anxieties and tension releasing exercises for your various body parts.
- You will learn about instrument maintenance, how best to take care of your instrument including practical tips taken from real life experience.
- You will take the first steps towards playing your instruments. Under expert guidance you will play your first notes to create melodies, existing melodies as well as your own.
- You will be introduced to transposition on your instrument. To understand about transposition and how it works is an invaluable tool when playing with other musicians.
Did you know?
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
About your host, Steve Edwards
Stephen Edwards is a Notting Hill born and bred arranger and composer with Caribbean roots. As well as studying music at Goldsmith College, he's also a fully qualified musical instrument repairer of woodwind and brass instruments. Steve plays soprano, tenor and baritone saxophone as well as the piano. His band "The Stephen Edwards Band" recorded their debut album ‘Mr Redman' at the famous Arnold Murhen studio in Amsterdam, which will be released later in 2018.
Steve is an amazing teacher, who generously shares his incredible knowledge of and passionate for music. He is patient, understanding and fun.
Mindful of the importance of a solid foundation, Steve does not teach snippets of knowledge in a random session. Instead he offers a foundation course on the principles of how to use your instrument to express your unique voice. He will also guide you on how to use the experience you already have to be the best player you can be - whether as a saxophonist, pianist, drummer or singer. The principles are always the same!
Music style: Jazz, Ska, Hip-hop, Fusion
Complete beginners to intermediate and beyond are all welcome.
please bring your own instrument
no prior knowledge is needed. children and adults of all ages are welcome!
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.