Six session course
Oil Painting : Landscape and Buildings - If you've ever watched people painting along the riverbank and wanted to try it - now's the time!
In these six week courses, you will be introduced to working in the beautiful and highly versatile medium of oil paint. This medium is particularly suited to depicting the a whole range of other subjects, especially skies and landscapes. Each class will focus on a lead topic from the following:
- Week 1 : (At the Studio) The principles and history behind oil painting; practical preparatory studies of observation, technique and principles of oil painting. The Class will conclude with refreshments providing students with an opportunity to get to know each other.
- Week 2 : (External) Take photographs of your chosen view (in case we're weather-bound in future classes) Prepare an underpainting in a tonal range; light, shade and shadows
- Week 3 : (External) : Develop the background and the local colours of the composition
- Week 4 : (External) Build up the image with glazes in the shadow and half-tone areas
- Week 5 : External) Applying the highlights and refining the shapes
- Week 6 : (External) More oil painting techniques such as sfumato and developing texture. Evaluation and feedback
Classes will move at the pace of the students, with one to one feedback and advice from the tutor. Some degree of flexibility to this schedule may be applied.
We ensure quality. If your class doesn't reach your expectations, we'll give your money back.
About your host, West London Art School
West London Art School believes that everyone has an artist inside them and our mission is to provide the best environment possible to help you to discover the artist within.
You will be supported throughout by one-to-one mentoring, guidance and evaluation from course tutors. All classes move at the pace of the students, are suitable for mixed-ability groups and for most courses, no previous experience is necessary. So whether you are an absolute beginner or an amateur or professional artist looking for like-minded company, at West London Art School we have the tutors, classes and facilities for you. We look forward to welcoming you.
We are located in Fulham SW6, minutes from Chelsea, Parsons Green, Putney and Kensington occupying St Oswalds Studios, late 19th century, purpose-built artist studios. For more than 125 years, St. Oswalds has accommodated renowned artists whose works are held in the collections of the National Gallery, Tate Britain, London Transport Museum and Guildford and Norwich Cathedrals.
Flexible cancellation policy
Any class can be cancelled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase. See cancellation policy.